Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Allergy Testing

As I mentioned below various studies done show that aggresive allergy treatments including desensitization can help reduce the severity and frequency of Meniere's attacks.

My neurotologist is also an allergist and is having me undergo comprehensive allergy testing right now. What does comprehensive mean?
It means:
Over 175 under the skin injections of small amounts of allergin to see if I react (my doc says these injections are the absolutely most accurate way of testing for allergins and that the "prick" tests or blood tests really don't show all allergies present for most people)

Food and inhaled allergies are both being tested

Once they discover what I am allergic to they make up a shot that includes all those allergins that I inject at home once a week. This shot desensitizes my body to the allergens and greatly reduces there ability to affect my body. This reduces inflammation and stress on the inner ear.

My prick tests and blood test showed no active allergies, however when there is a lot of pollen in the air, etc... I DO react so I wasn't sure that was correct. My skin injection tests showed a strong allergic reaction to pollen and certain trees and molds. So I too feel it is much more accurate as a test.